Friday, December 28, 2012

Sneezing

I have two hens that are sneezing and this worries me.  Ethel our Salmon Faverolle and our Buff Orpington Henrietta.  Ethel is like this a lot so I think hers is a chronic thing, but Henrietta has never done this.  I started  antibiotics and got them a smaller waterer (2 gallon instead of a 5 gallon) which makes it easier to change water and add medicine.  My father-in-law is a large animal vet but does do smaller animals such as dogs and cats, but he doesn't really do chickens but I'm not sure what to do about the sneezing they have had 3 rounds of antibiotics this will make it four. If this keeps up I might have to call the Iowa State and see what they say about it.  I know one year we had a hen with New Castle disease and they were very helpful with that. I'll have to wait until after the first of the year since everyone is on vacation until then.

We are getting a few eggs again this is a good sign.  At least they are laying in the nesting boxes and not pooping too much in them.  I have to shovel chicken poop this coming weekend and clean the nesting boxes out and put more bedding in.  I have a bale of  hay that I will put all over the floor of the coop.  I have to MAKE the chickens go out into the cold while I do this.....this should be a whole lot of  fun!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...