Sunday, December 30, 2012

Great Reading - Great Products

I just finished reading a great article at backyardpoultry.com about changing the menu for your chickens in the winter.  Here is the link to that article:  
 
 http://www.backyardpoultrymag.com/issues/1/1-5/Lisa_Jansen_Mathews.html.

In winter you increase the calories for your flock,  because when you increase the calories it allows the birds to stay warm.  When birds are able to stay warm they are less likely to become ill or die. To increase calories you should increase the proportion of scratch. Scratch is low protein but high calorie.  I for one was not aware of this.

In spring you need higher protein because of  increased egg production. Great sources of protein are alfalfa and legumes. Another thing that I was not aware of.


You can increase protein by giving your chickens sprouts!  I'm sure that is something I could grow!  I did see on one of  my favorite chicken sites was "Chicken Salad".


Your Price: $2.95  


Our seed kit is for those of you who love to spoil your flock. Sow the seeds and, 4 to 8 weeks later, let your flock loose on them -- these are plants chickens especially love to eat! You can also plant them in containers and clip the greens for your flock. Contains: Dwarf Essex Rape, Purple Top Turnip, Bracco White Mustard, Forage Kale, Landino Clover.

I will be getting this for sure!  I thought I would plant it in saucers and place them around the pen it will not only be great for the chickens it will lend a little "decor" to the pen!  Besides the price is reasonable.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...